September 6, 2010

The Grove has birds



One of the changes to the story was the addition of a couple minor characters, and one of those is the Grove Birds. There were always birds in the grove, but one in particular that originally made a small cameo has since been developed, combined with another instance of birdage, and turned into two individuals that pretty much make up the bird population, at least as far as this story goes. They're both the same species so they pretty much look identical, and they don't have names yet, but I've decided that Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee are not options.

The bird is based on the toco toucan, but I didn't want them to look exactly like a specific species of bird. But in exploring colors I found that the best combination was really the one that the actual bird has already. So, basically, God did it right the first time. That one is bird "Re". My other favorite is bird "A", which might look too much like Zazu from The Lion King. Granted, he doesn't look as much like Zazu as bird "C" does, but I don't know...

3 comments:

Julianna said...

I agree. I think Re is the best, but since the Grovers are not "people" or "realistic" colorwise, A would be the best choice for being more colorful.

Julianna said...

I just looked at it again, and A totally goes best with the 1,2,3 grovers.

Unknown said...

Do with C's beak.

I love the overall look of them!